Do I have to pay an IVL?

The International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy or (IVL)

The IVL is a $35 NZD tax required for most visitor visas.

New Zealand government uses the IVL to improve infrastructure and sustainability projects in the country’s touristic attractions. It was implemented because of the growing number of visitors New Zealand has had in the last few years. 


There are some exceptions for specific countries and visa types. This means that you won’t be required to pay the IVL if you:

  • Are in New Zealand on a transit visa or transit NZeTA;
  • Come on a Diplomatic, military, medical, or humanitarian visa;
  • Are travelling to Antarctica under the Antarctic Treaty (including people travelling on the Antarctic Traveller Transit Visa);
  • Are a Recognised Seasonal Employment worker;
  • Hold a Business Visitor Visa (including APEC business travel cards);
  • Are ship or airline crew;
  • Hold a visa for dependants (partners and children) of work and student visa holders.

Or if you belong to the following countries:

  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Cook Islands
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Fiji
  • Kiribati
  • Nauru
  • Niue
  • Palau
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Republic of Marshall Islands
  • Samoa
  • Solomon Islands
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
  • Vanuatu

When to pay the IVL?

If you are required to pay an IVL, Immigration NZ will let you know at the time of applying for your visa or NZeTA.

You will need to pay the IVL before you arrive in New Zealand. 

If the reason for your visit to New Zealand is to move and work in the country, ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers and Job Search Coaches for a free assessment on your migration options.



Read more about applying for a visa for New Zealand:  

Visas for New Zealand: The different visa types explained. 

Do you qualify for a resident visa? Find out by doing a Quick Self-Check.

How many points do you need for your Expression of Interest?

You need a job to get a visa. 

Find a job with the support of our Job Search Program. 

Are your skills in demand? Look up the Skill Shortages Lists.  


Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers

If you want to find out what it takes to migrate to New Zealand ask our Licensed Immigration Adviser Dr.Carsten Hallwass for a Free Assessment.

Free Assessment