Healthcare for Immigrants in New Zealand
In New Zealand, the government subsidises the national health care system. This means that every New Zealander benefits from free or low-cost health care throughout the country.
Besides New Zealanders, as a migrant, you may be eligible to benefit from New Zealand's public health care if:
- You hold a residence visa or;
- You have a work visa that's valid for two years or more.
New Zealand's subsidised healthcare system provides immediate access for urgent treatments but has waiting lists for non-urgent services. Because of these potential delays at some stages of the public system, many New Zealanders and eligible migrants chose to get health insurance. Insurance of this kind avoids queues as well as giving access to private hospitals.
There are several different health insurance providers, and their prices and services can accommodate most people's requirements.
What if I am not eligible?
Migrants not eligible for public health care, do not qualify for health insurance in New Zealand either.
Insurance companies offer an upgrade to the public health system but still rely on it to function. That’s why people who don’t have access to public health care can’t have health insurance.
If you are not eligible for public health care, it is strongly advisable to get travel insurance.
It would be best if you bought your travel insurance before leaving your home country. Having in mind how long it might take until you meet the requirements for public healthcare will help you decide which policy is the one that fits best.
If you are considering moving to New Zealand, we can help you.
Ask us for a free assessment, to see which visa you should apply for and what are your chances of success. Our Licensed Immigration Advisers can help you avoid mistakes, saving time and money.
Find out more about working in New Zealand:
- Download the Immigration New Zealand new migrants guide
- Can you come to New Zealand to look for a job?
- Will you be able to find a job if you do not have a visa yet?
- Nailing the Job Interview
- The 28 best interview replies!
- Tactics for accessing the Hidden Job Market
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- Find an Accredited Employer
- Skill shortages in New Zealand
- How much will you be able to earn?
- Your job must be "skilled" to give you points
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand if you are using our Job Search Service?
Wie stehen Ihre Chancen? Fragen Sie uns nach einer kostenlosen Chancenbewertung!
Unsere erfahrenen Einwanderungsberater und Jobsearch Spezialisten ermitteln gerne Ihre Chancen auf dem neuseeländischen Arbeitsmarkt und auf Erlangung der erforderlichen Visa und machen Ihnen einen Vorschlag für die Verwirklichung Ihrer Neuseelandpläne.