The 'Catch 22' or 'Hen and Egg' dilemma
How can you get a job in New Zealand if you do not have a visa yet?
You need a job to get a visa, but you need a visa to get a job!
Does this sound confusing? Let us explain the Catch 22 dilemma and how we can help you solve it.
No job without a visa!
Job listings will often say:
"Only applicants with the right to work in New Zealand may apply."
Or: "Unfortunately we are not able to consider your application if you do not possess a valid work permit or working visa."
Recruiters will respond along the same line:
"Please get back in contact with us once you have obtained either residency or a work permit and we would be only too happy to assist. Good luck in your job search."
No visa without a job!
Whether you want to apply for a work visa or a resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category, you will need a job:
- to apply for a work visa you will have to provide a job offer with your work visa application;
- to obtain a resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category you will have to claim points for a job in New Zealand.
Our Licensed Immigration Adviser explains: Why you cannot apply for a visa if you do not have a job.
The bottom line is:
- You will find it very difficult to get a job if you do not have a visa
- Your work visa application will be declined and your Expression of Interest will not be selected if you do not provide evidence of a job offer.
So you ask yourself: 'How can I get a job if I do not have a visa?'
The Catch 22 dilemma really is a tricky position to be in, a vicious cycle, and as a result you will probably feel frustrated, stuck in a dead end and unable to take your migration plans further.
How we work with you to overcome the Catch 22 dilemma:
Our Job Search Team will work with you on finding a job that suits your professional skills while our Licensed Immigration Advisers will ensure that your future job will meet immigration requirements.
Your Licensed Immigration Advisers will
- take care of all visa related aspects of your migration and - at the same time -
- work hand in hand with our in-house Job Search Professionals on a daily basis, here in our office in New Zealand;
- advise you and the Job Search Team to ensure that your job search stays in line with visa requirements at all times;
- liaise with your New Zealand employer to educate them about your visa status;
- facilitate the swift processing of your work visa application.
Your Job Search Team will
- take care of all job search related aspects of your migration and - at the same time -
- liaise with your Licensed Immigration Adviser throughout your process to ensure that your job search is aligned with your visa application at all times;
- ensure that you are only applying for positions that fulfil visa requirements and will eventually provide a base for your visa.
By working hand in hand from under one roof throughout your entire migration process, both teams will coordinate and constantly fine-tune your job search and your visa application process. A perfect Fusion!
Find out more about how we work: Powerful Immigration Assistance.
Read more about working in New Zealand
- Find out how our Job Search Professionals will boost your job search.
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand?
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- Are your skills in demand? Skill shortages in New Zealand.
Are you eligible for a resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category? Find out by using our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Get Job Search Assistance
If you want to find out what it takes to find a job in New Zealand ask our Job Search Coach Katrin Schottke for a Free Assessment of your chances.Free Assessment