Our client Teri is a Research Scientist with a PhD in Cellular & Molecular Biology from The University of Glasgow (UK), and 10+ years of experience in multidisciplinary research.
Research Scientist with a PhD in Cellular & Molecular Biology from The University of Glasgow (UK), and 10+ years of experience in multidisciplinary research. Proven publication history in writing for scientific & academic purposes as well as experience in carrying out research projects both independently and in support of other projects. Effective interpersonal and team skills with a genuine commitment to contributing to innovative developments. Currently working as a Senior Editor with the Lancet in London.
- Cell culture
- Stem cell differentiation
- Cell assays: Colorimetric or fluorescent, e.g ELISA, MTT, Alamar blue
- RT-PCR: quantitative PCR experiments using both SYBR Green and Taqman reagents
- Separation & isolation techniques: Small molecules and new chemical entities (NCE); DNA, RNA and protein isolation for subsequent polymerase chain reactions (PCR)
- Metabolomics: using liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry (LC-MS) for the detection and quantification of biological molecules. I hold the most experience in this field as I started my career as a bioanalyst quantifying drugs in biological samples and moving on to more elaborate projects in the following years.
- Raman spectroscopy
- Microscopy: Brightfield, epifluorescence, confocal, scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy.
- Rodent Microsurgery: Undertaken training to work on the surgical grafting of biomaterials developed to aid the regrowth of damaged peripheral nerves while at Umeå university
- Tissue sectioning
- Material fabrication: surface functionalisation, soft embossing, spin coating.
- Data analysis, interpretation and reporting
- Critiquing scientific literature: In my current role as a Senior Editor, I review two or three manuscripts a day to assess the scientific value, robustness and overall integrity of the reported experimental project and to ascertain if they are good enough for peer review and eventual publication.
- Project conceptualisation, design & management: for my postdoctoral projects at Glasgow University and Umeå, I was primarily responsible for putting together a viable project plan. This involved literature reviews, planning, resourcing, organising and executing a project. Being able to meet set deadlines and update parties involved on project progress or setbacks.