What are the main challenges for migrants during the job hunt?
Being new to New Zealand, migrants typically experience a variety of challenges when approaching the job market.
Apart from the Catch 22 dilemma - you do not have a visa when you start your job hunt - there are a number of other issues that will affect your job search.
Difficulties migrants face are often based on the fact that they are not familiar with New Zealand's business etiquette and employers do not fully understand and appreciate their professional overseas background:
- A lack of proven New Zealand work experience
- A lack of professional networks and social capital
- A lack of information and a good understanding of their specific industry in New Zealand
- A lack of recognition of international qualifications and/or the opportunities to upgrade
- A lack of understanding of how to navigate the New Zealand employment process
- The challenging requirement for specialists to adapt to more generalist work roles
- A lack of New Zealand specific English language terminology
- A lack of confidence in a new environment
Our Job Search Team has the experience and local knowledge to support and coach you through this phase of unfamiliarity and open up the New Zealand employment market for you.
Read more about working in New Zealand
- Find out how our Job Search Professionals will boost your job search.
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand?
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- If you want to work, you will need a visa.
- Are your skills in demand? Skill shortages in New Zealand.
Are you eligible for a resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category? Find out by using our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- How many points will you need to have a realistic chance?
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
Ask our Job Search Professionals
If you want to find out more about finding a job in New Zealand, contact Katrin Schottke, Job Search Manager at NZIC.Ask Katrin for a Free Assessment