How much will you be able to earn? Wages in New Zealand.
The bottom line is that your income level will depend on how qualified you are, whether your skills are in demand and where in New Zealand you want to work.
This is, of course, the same general rule that applies everywhere in the world.
The most recent data confirmed that IT had the highest paying jobs, with the top five dominated by IT careers: The highest-paid job is IT architect at an average annual salary of $135,000.
The lowest-paid were cafe, bar and kitchen staff at an average annual pay of $32,000.
Source: Trade Me Jobs, January 2019
Of the jobs advertised on the job website Trade Me, the following ones had the highest median salaries:
- Information architects (IT) $135,000
- IT Management $125,000
- Cybersecurity specialists $115,000
- Data warehousing and Business Intelligence (IT) $105,000
- Construction project and contract management $105,000
- Finance managers $105,000
- IT Consultant $105,000
- IT Programming and Development $95,000
- Database experts $95,000
- Quantity surveying $95,000
- Surveying $95,000
- Test analysts $95,000
- Architects $85,000
- Sales Managers $85,000
- Commercial property management $85,000
Of the jobs advertised on Trade Me, the following ones had the lowest median salaries:
- Kitchen staff $32,000
- Bar staff and baristas $32,000
- Housekeeper $33,000
- Tour guide $35,000
- Waiting staff $35,000
- Machine operation $36,000
- Receptionist $36,000
- Store-person, warehouse $36,000
- Retail assistant $37,000
- Security $37,000
- Labourers $37,000
- Cleaning $37,000
- Warehouse and distribution $37,000
- Administration $40,000
- Horticulture worker $40,000
- Consultancy and strategy
- Information and communication technology (ICT)
- Real estate and property
- Banking and financial services.
- Manufacturing and operations
- Administration and office support
- Retail sales
- Hospitality and tourism
- Call centre and customer service
- Transport and logistics.
Sources: Trade Me, 'Salary Survey'
Pay rates by category
|Accounting||$65k||$42k - $125k|
|Agriculture, fishing & forestry||$50k||$37k - $85k|
|Automotive||$55k||$37k - $85k|
|Banking, finance & insurance||$65k||$42k - $125k|
|Construction & architecture||$65k||$37k - $145k|
|Customer service||$45k||$37k - $65k|
|Education||$55k||$37k - $85k|
|Engineering||$70k||$42k - $125k|
|Executive & general management||$85k||$45k - $207k|
|Government & council||$70k||$40k - $145k|
|Healthcare||$55k||$40k - $85k|
|Hospitality & tourism||$45k||$35k - $63k|
|HR & recruitment||$65k||$45k - $125k|
|IT||$100k||$45k - $207k|
|Legal||$65k||$40k - $115k|
|Manufacturing & operations||$47k||$35k - $85k|
|Marketing, media & communications||$65k||$42k - $125k|
|Office & administration||$50k||$37k - $75k|
|Other||$47k||$35k - $105k|
|Property||$75k||$42k - $155k|
|Retail||$42k||$35k - $65k|
|Sales||$60k||$37k - $105k|
|Science & technology||$55k||$37k - $105k|
|Trades & services||$55k||$37k - $85k|
|Transport & logistics||$50k||$37k - $80k|
The Legal Minimum Wage
Minimum wage rates must be paid to all employees whether full-time, part-time fixed-term, casual employees, working from home and people paid totally or partly by commission or piece rates.
The current hourly adult minimum wage rate (before tax) that applies for employees aged 16 and over is $18.90 per hour.
Read more about working in New Zealand
- Find out how our Job Search Professionals will boost your search for a job in New Zealand.
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand?
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- If you want to work, you will need a visa.
- Skill shortages in New Zealand.
Are you eligible for a resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category? Find out by using our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
Get Job Search Assistance
If you want to find out what it takes to find a job in New Zealand ask our Job Search Coach Anna Fyfe for a Free Assessment of your chances.Free Assessment