You need a job to apply for a visa: No visa without a job!
Whether you want to apply for a Resident Visa under the Skilled Migrant Category or for an Essential Skills Work Visa, a New Zealand job offer will be the key requirement for your visa application.
Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa
If you want to live in New Zealand permanently and you have skills that can contribute to New Zealand’s economic growth, you can apply for a Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa.
To be eligible for a SMC resident visa
- you need to have enough skills, experience and qualifications for your Expression of Interest to get an invitation to apply for residence.
- you need to be 55 or under when you apply.
- you need to speak English reasonably well.
To find out what it takes to qualify under the Skilled Migrant Category, see our Quick Self-Check Guide.
You will see why your application is more likely to be accepted if you have employment in an area in which New Zealand has a skills shortage.
Currently you will need 160 points for your Expression of Interest to be successfully selected.
It is highly unlikely that you will be able to reach 160 points in your Expression of Interest unless you can claim points for an offer of skilled employment!
Without an offer of employment your Expression of Interested will not be selected and you will not receive an Invitation to Apply for a Resident Visa.
Essential Skills Work Visa
If you are planning a temporary stay in New Zealand and want to work in your profession you will need to apply for an Essential Skills Work Visa.
In your visa application you have to prove that
- you have a full-time job offer,
- you have the necessary skills and experience to work in your occupation,
- you have New Zealand registration, if it is required to work in your occupation in New Zealand,
- your employer has tried to recruit any suitable New Zealanders who are available to do the work before offering you the job.
You cannot submit a work visa application unless you have a job offer from a New Zealand employer. If you would do so, your application would be rejected by Immigration New Zealand.
Are you eligible to work and live in New Zealand? Find out by using our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about applying for New Zealand residency through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- How many points will you need to have a realistic chance?
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers
If you want to find out more about obtaining the right visa for New Zealand, contact Julia Cooke, Licensed Immigration Adviser at NZIC.Ask Julia for a Free Assessment