The objective of the Residence from Work Category is to enable the grant of residence class visas to people whose talents are needed by New Zealand employers, people with exceptional talent in a field of art, culture or sport and people working in areas of identified absolute occupational shortage in New Zealand.
The criteria for an application under this policy are complex. Just to name a few:
Applicants must have
• held a work visa for at least 24 months under this specific category,
• worked in New Zealand for at least 24 months for an accredited employer and a minimum base salary; OR
• been actively involved in their declared field of art, culture or sport and are sponsored by a New Zealand organisation of national repute; OR
• been employed in New Zealand in a profession which is included in the Long Term Skill Shortage List: Long-Term-Skill-Shortage-List-March-2014.pdf
Holders of visas granted under the Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) work instructions may be granted a resident visa if they meet health and character requirements, and:
- they have held a work visa granted under the Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) work instructions for a period of at least 24 months,and;
- during that time they have been actively engaged in their declared field in New Zealand, and they are still prominent in that field , and;
- their presence in New Zealand will enhance the quality of New Zealand's accomplishments and participation in that field, and;
- they are supported by a New Zealand organisation of national repute in their declared field; and
- they have an acceptable sponsor.
Holders of visas granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) work instructions may be granted a residence class visa if they meet health and character requirements, and they have held a work visa granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) work instructions for a period of at least 24 months and have been employed in New Zealand during this time by any accredited employer (certain exceptions are allowed) with a minimum base salary of NZ$55,000 per annum (if the associated work to Residence visa application was made on or after 28 July 2008).
Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers
If you want to find out more about obtaining the right visa for New Zealand, contact Julia Cooke, Licensed Immigration Adviser at NZIC.Ask Julia for a Free Assessment