How to Obtain the Overseas Investment Consent

Strict rules will apply, if you are an overseas person or an associate of an overseas person wanting to invest in New Zealand.

You may need to apply to the Overseas Investment Office (OIO) for consent if you wish to acquire:

  • sensitive land or an interest in sensitive land (e.g. by buying shares in a company that owns sensitive land), or
  • business assets worth more than $100 million, or
  • fishing quota or an interest in fishing quota.

Persons requiring consent:

You are an overseas person if you are neither a New Zealand citizen, nor ordinarily resident in New Zealand. A company, a partnership, a joint venture or a trust can also be an overseas person. You will also require consent if you are an associate of an overseas person. You will require expert legal advice to know whether you or the entity that is going to acquire the sensitive assets is an overseas person or an associate of an overseas person.

Sensitive land requiring consent:

Land will be sensitive if it comes within the types of land and area thresholds detailed in Part 1 of Schedule 1 of the Overseas Investment Act 2005.

While determining whether land is sensitive can sometimes be straightforward, often significant legal and land expertise is required, particularly if there are nearby waterways.

The Minister of Finance issued a new Ministerial Directive Letter to the OIO. The letter, dated 8 December 2010, takes effect from 13 January 2011 and provides direction to the OIO, as regulator of the Overseas Investment Act 2005, about particular factors that are of greater relative importance when assessing investments in large areas of farmland.

The letter notes, as an indicative guide, that an overseas investment in farm land would be considered 'large' if it were to result in the relevant overseas person owning or controlling an area of land that is more than ten times the average farm size for the relevant farm type.

Obtaining consent:

Applicants for consent must satisfy a number of criteria, including the core “investor test” criteria.

In addition, consent to acquire sensitive land will only be granted if the transaction will, or is likely to, benefit New Zealand, or alternatively, the relevant overseas person intends to reside in New Zealand indefinitely. Some types of land (such as farm land) also have specific consent criteria.

Applicants for consent to acquire fishing quota must satisfy a “national interest” test.

Next steps:

Determining if consent is required and applying for consent generally requires significant legal and land expertise. Seek assistance from a professional adviser as early as possible to help ensure a smooth transaction.

Source: Land Information New Zealand


No items found.

Read more about investment in NZ:

Read more successful NZ entrepreneur stories:

Retirement in NZ
Investor and Business Visas

Read more about doing business in NZ:

Do you want to run your own business?

Ask our Principal Immigration Adviser Dr. Carsten Hallwass what it takes.

Are you interested in buying this New Zealand business?

Mention this listing in our Free Assessment Form!

Do you want to invest in New Zealand?

Ask our Principal Immigration Adviser Dr. Carsten Hallwass what it takes.

Ready to get started?

Base your move on solid grounds: Ask us for a Free Assessment first!

south african flag symbol

Dr. Hallwass handled our application to immigrate professionally, giving us a clear picture of what was required, updating us along the way and providing excellent follow up service on our arrival in New Zealand. We are delighted with his professionalism and thoroughness. He comes highly recommended.

South Africa
USA flag symbol

Anna was worth her weight in gold---she was fantastic at helping me format my CV and search for jobs that suited my skill set.  In the end, I got a great job in a great city.  Carsten and his team were very thorough and helpful when it came time to apply for and get our visas. They are now helping us with our resident visas, and I'm certain that the process will be the same. I'd recommend them highly.

brazilian flag image

NZIC guided me all the way through getting my first work visa to permanent residency. Their job seeking support was key when I first arrived in NZ, communication was always easy and clear. I'm very thankful for their help and definitely recommend their services.

hong kong flag image

Dear Jannie, just want to drop a note to thank for your everything. Your help is much appreciated! You are a wonderful and professional job search coach! I am so lucky to have you supporting me!

Hong Kong