What are the remuneration thresholds in Skilled Migrant and Essential Skills policies?
Your salary level will be a crucial requirement to be able to secure a visa under the Skilled Migrant or Essential Skills Categories.
The new Skilled Migrant Policy acknowledges that higher-paid positions reflect higher skill levels and will result in an increased potential to benefit New Zealand's economic growth. Bonus points will be awarded for employment based on high levels of earnings.
Is your employment skilled?
There are two different indicators used to determine whether your employment is classified as skilled:
- If your occupation is at ANZSCO skill levels 1–3, you must earn at or above NZ$25.50 per hour (or the equivalent annual salary)
- If your occupation is at ANZSCO skill levels 4–5, you must earn at or above NZ$38.25 per hour (or the equivalent annual salary) to be awarded points for skilled employment in your Skilled Migrant Category residence application.
Will you qualify for bonus points?
You may be eligible for 20 bonus points if you are claiming points for skilled employment and the remuneration for that employment is at or above NZ$51 per hour (or the equivalent annual salary).
Get in contact with us for a Free Assessment of your migration options by our Licensed Immigration Advisers:
Or continue your Self-Assessment with our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about our Job Search Program:
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- The resident visa application process under Skilled Migrant Category
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Is your profession on the Long Term Skill Shortage List?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
- Have you reached the age limit of the SMC?
Find out more about working in New Zealand:
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand if you are using our Job Search Service?
- Can you come to New Zealand to look for a job?
- Will you be able to find a job if you do not have a visa yet?
- Nailing the Job Interview
- The 28 best interview replies!
- Tactics for accessing the Hidden Job Market
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- Find an Accredited Employer
- Skill shortages in New Zealand
- How much will you be able to earn?
- Your job must be "skilled" to give you points.
Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers
If you want to find out what it takes to migrate to New Zealand, ask our Licensed Immigration Adviser Apekshi Jayawardena for a Free Assessment.Free Assessment