Are New Zealand employers possibly reluctant to hire migrants?
Hiring staff is a big decision with far reaching consequences and obligations for employers.
While New Zealand companies look overseas to fill existing skill gaps in our country, there are a number of reasons why they may be reluctant to hire immigrants in particular.
Some reasons why New Zealand employers might be reluctant to offer a job to a new migrant are:
- A lack of understanding and appreciation of the applicant's international qualifications;
- A bias or preference towards local experience;
- Concerns about language proficiency;
- Concerns about the cultural fit of an oversea's applicant;
- Concerns regarding the migrant's commitment to move to New Zealand or stay in New Zealand long term;
- Reluctance to work through the immigration procedure;
- Concerns that the applicant is over or under qualified for the position
- Concerns that an overqualified applicant is using the position as stepping-stone to get a visa and then move on.
Our Job Search Professionals have come across all of these concerns and are experienced in educating and assisting employers by explaining the process and familiarising them with the specific situation migrants are in.
We can provide relevant information to the New Zealand employer. We assure them that the visa process is well under way and our clients are fully committed to making New Zealand their new home.
Read more about working in New Zealand
- Find out how our Job Search Professionals will boost your job search.
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand?
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- If you want to work, you will need a visa.
- Are your skills in demand? Skill shortages in New Zealand.
Are you eligible for a resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category? Find out by using our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- How many points will you need to have a realistic chance?
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
Get Job Search Assistance
If you want to find out what it takes to find a job in New Zealand ask our Job Search Coach Katrin Schottke for a Free Assessment of your chances.Free Assessment