How much will you be able to earn? Wages in New Zealand.
The bottom line is that your income level will depend on how well qualified you are, whether your skills are in demand and where in New Zealand you want to work.
This is of course the same general rule that applies everywhere in the world.
The most recent data confirmed that IT had the highest paying jobs, with the top five dominated by IT careers: The highest paid job was IT architect at an average annual salary of $142,028.
The lowest paid were housekeepers at an average annual pay of $37,056.
Source: Trade Me Jobs, January 2017
Of the jobs advertised on the job website Trade Me, the following ones had the highest median salaries:
- Information architects (IT) $135,000
- Data warehousing and Business Intelligence (IT) $115,000
- Cybersecurity specialists $105,000
- Construction project and contract management $105,000
- IT Sales $105,000
- Finance managers $100,000
- Database experts $95,000
- Quantity surveying $95,000
- Surveying $95,000
- Test analysts $95,000
- Architects $85,000
- Geotechnical engineers $85,000
- Civil and structural engineers $85,000
- Commercial property management $85,000
- Accountants $75,000
Of the jobs advertised on Trade Me, the following ones had the lowest median salaries:
- Kitchen staff $32,000
- Bar staff and baristas $33,000
- Housekeeper $33,000
- Retail assistant $33,000
- Tour guide $35,000
- Waiting staff $35,000
- Machine operation $36,000
- Receptionist $36,000
- Store-person, warehouse $36,000
- Security $37,000
- Labourers $37,000
- Cleaning $37,000
- Warehouse and distribution $37,000
- Administration $40,000
- Horticulture worker $40,000
- Consultancy and strategy
- Information and communication technology (ICT)
- Real estate and property
- Banking and financial services.
- Manufacturing and operations
- Administration and office support
- Retail sales
- Hospitality and tourism
- Call centre and customer service
- Transport and logistics.
Sources: Trade Me, 'Salary Survey'
Pay rates by category
|Accounting||$65k||$40k - $125k|
|Agriculture, fishing & forestry||$47k||$35k - $85k|
|Automotive||$55k||$35k - $75k|
|Banking, finance & insurance||$65k||$42k - $125k|
|Construction & architecture||$65k||$37k - $115k|
|Customer service||$42k||$32k - $65k|
|Education||$55k||$32k - $85k|
|Engineering||$75k||$40k - $135k|
|Executive & general management||$95k||$45k - $225k|
|Government & council||$65k||$40k - $125k|
|Healthcare||$55k||$32k - $100k|
|Hospitality & tourism||$40k||$32k - $55k|
|HR & recruitment||$65k||$40k - $125k|
|IT||$95k||$45k - $207k|
|Legal||$55k||$35k - $115k|
|Manufacturing & operations||$42k||$32k - $85k|
|Marketing, media & communications||$65k||$37k - $125k|
|Office & administration||$45k||$35k - $65k|
|Other||$45k||$32k - $85k|
|Property||$75k||$40k - $140k|
|Retail||$40k||$32k - $65k|
|Sales||$55k||$37k - $105k|
|Science & technology||$55k||$35k - $105k|
|Trades & services||$50k||$32k - $75k|
|Transport & logistics||$45k||$35k - $75k|
The Legal Minimum Wage
Minimum wage rates must be paid to all employees whether full-time, part-time fixed-term, casual employees, working from home and people paid totally or partly by commission or piece rates.
The current hourly adult minimum wage rate (before tax) that applies for employees aged 16 and over is $14.75 per hour.
Read more about Wages in New Zealand:
Read more about working in New Zealand
- Find out how our Job Search Professionals will boost your search for a job in New Zealand.
- Can we guarantee you that you will find a job in New Zealand?
- What is the next step once you have a job offer?
- If you want to work, you will need a visa.
- Skill shortages in New Zealand.
Are you eligible for a resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category? Find out by using our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
Get Job Search Assistance
If you want to find out what it takes to find a job in New Zealand ask our Job Search Coach Katrin Schottke for a Free Assessment of your chances.Free Assessment