How can you get a Medical Waiver for your visa application?
If you or any family member included in your application do not have an acceptable standard of health, your application will be declined, unless Immigration New Zealand will grant you a medical waiver.
Can you get a medical waiver?
For residence visa applications, medical waivers will only be considered, if you meet all of the other requirements for approval of your application.
For temporary entry class visa applications, medical waivers will only be considered, if you meet all of the other requirements for approval of your application, and:
• you are the partner or dependent child of a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder, or
• you have applied for a temporary visa as a seconded business person, or
• you have been recognised has having refugee or protection status in New Zealand.
When will a medical waiver not be granted?
You will not be able to obtain a medical waiver, if you or any family member included in your application:
- requires dialysis treatment, or an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor has indicated that dialysis treatment will be required within five years from the date of the medical assessment, or
- has severe haemophilia, or
- has a physical, intellectual, cognitive and/or sensory incapacity that requires full-time care, including care in the community, or
- currently has tuberculosis (TB) (any form including pulmonary, non-pulmonary, multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant TB) and has not completed full treatment for TB as outlined in the New Zealand Guidelines for Tuberculosis Control, or
- has a history, diagnostic findings or treatment for multidrug-resistant or extensively drug-resistant TB, unless they have been cleared by a New Zealand respiratory or infectious diseases specialist upon review of their file or review of the applicant as outlined in the New Zealand Guidelines for Tuberculosis Control.
If you have any health problems and think that you might have difficulties demonstrating that you have an acceptable standard of health, please talk to one of our Licensed Immigration Advisers. They are experienced in assisting our clients with applying for medical waivers.
Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers
If you want to find out more about obtaining the right visa for New Zealand, contact Julia Cooke, Licensed Immigration Adviser at NZIC.Ask Julia for a Free Assessment