Can you claim points for your work experience?
You may be able to claim points for your previous work experience in your Expression of Interest if your experience meets the policy requirements for the Skilled Migrant category.
Your work experience must be relevant
- be in the same field as your recognised qualification, or
- in the same field as your current employment or your offer of skilled employment in New Zealand, or
- have helped you gain relevant specialist, technical, or management skills and experience.
What if I do not have a job or job offer?
If you do not have a skilled job or job offer in New Zealand, any work experience you claim points for must have been gained in a comparable labour market.
Points might be awarded for work experience in countries that are not 'comparable labour markets', but only if you were working:
- for a multinational commercial entity domiciled in one of these listed countries, or
- in an area of absolute skill shortage.
Work experience will be assessed as being in a comparable labour market if it was gained in one of the following countries:
Australia, Malaysia, Austria, New Zealand, Belgium-Luxembourg, Netherlands, Canada, Norway, Cyprus, Philippines, Denmark, Portugal, Finland, Republic of South Korea, France, Singapore, Germany, South Africa, Greece, Spain, Iceland, Sweden, Ireland, Switzerland, Israel, United Kingdom, Italy, United States, Japan
How many points can you claim based on your work experience?
Assuming that your work experience is recognised, you will be able to claim the following points:
|2 years||10 points|
|4 years||15 points|
|6 years||20 points|
|8 years||25 points|
|10 years||30 points|
Claim bonus points for your work experience
In addition to the points above, you may be able to claim additional bonus points in your Expression of Interest if your work experience has been obtained
- in New Zealand - 1 to 3 years will give you 5 to 15 points
- in an area of absolute skill shortage - 10 to 15 points
Find out how your remuneration will affect your points.
Go back to our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- How many points will you need to have a realistic chance?
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Is your profession on one of the Skill Shortages Lists?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- How can you get help with finding a job?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
Wie stehen Ihre Chancen? Fragen Sie uns nach einer kostenlosen Chancenbewertung!
Unsere erfahrenen Einwanderungsberater und Jobsearch Spezialisten ermitteln gerne Ihre Chancen auf dem neuseeländischen Arbeitsmarkt und auf Erlangung der erforderlichen Visa und machen Ihnen einen Vorschlag für die Verwirklichung Ihrer Neuseelandpläne.