Does your occupation require New Zealand registration?
In New Zealand registration is required by law in order to undertake employment in certain occupations.
This will affect you visa application process in different ways:
- If you are claiming points in your Expression of Interest, the requirement for occupational registration can affect eligibility for points for qualifications and offers of employment.
- If you are applying for a work visa to work in one of these occupations, you must obtain the registration before a visa can be issued.
Occupational Registration is required in the following occupations:
- Barrister and solicitor
- Cable jointer
- Clinical dental technician
- Clinical dental therapist
- Dental hygienist
- Dental technician
- Dental therapist
- Dispensing optician
- Electrician (see note below)
- Electrical appliance serviceperson
- Electrical engineer
- Electrical inspector
- Electrical installer
- Electrical service technician
- Enrolled nurse
- Financial adviser
- Line mechanic
- Medical laboratory scientist/technologist
- Medical laboratory technician
- Medical practitioner
- Medical radiation technologist
- Nurses and midwives
- Occupational therapist
- Plumber, gasfitter and drainlayer
- Real estate agent
- Cadastral (Land Title) Surveyor
To find out the process involved in obtaining the registration you can contact the relevant registration authorities:
New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (NZICA)
PO Box 11 342, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 474 7840
Facsimile: 64 4 473 6303
Barristers and Solicitors
New Zealand Law Society
PO Box 5041, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 472 7837
Facsimile: 64 4 473 7909
NZ Psychologists Board
PO Box 10 626, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 471 4580
Facsimile: 64 4 471 4581
Dental Council of New Zealand
PO Box 10 448, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 499 4820
Facsimile: 64 4 499 1668
Electrical service technicians
The Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ)
PO Box 12 241, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 473 9444
Facsimile: 64 4 474 8933
PO Box 7242
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 64 4 801 6250
Facsimile: 64 4 381 0270
Medical Council of New Zealand
PO Box 11 649, Wellington
Free Phone: 0800 286 801
Telephone: 64 4 384 7635
Facsimile: 64 4 385 8902
Midwifery Council of NZ
PO Box 24448, Manners Street, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 499 5040
Facsimile: 64 4 499 5045
Nursing Council of New Zealand
PO Box 9644, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 385 9589
Facsimile: 64 4 801 8502
Occupational Therapy Board of New Zealand
PO Box 10 202, The Terrace
Telephone: 64 4 918 4740
Facsimile: 64 4 918 4746
Email for enquiries and information: [email protected]
New Zealand Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board
PO Box 10 140, Wellington
Telephone: 64 4 474 0705
Facsimile: 64 4 474 0709
Email: [email protected]
Pharmacy Council of New Zealand
PO Box 25 137
Telephone: 64 4 495 0330
Facsimile: 64 4 495 0331
Plumbers, gasfitters and drainlayers
Real Estate Agents Licensing Board
PO Box 99 881, Newmarket
Telephone: 64 9 520 6949
Facsimile: 64 9 520 6995
Our Licensed Immigration Advisers will are experienced in assisting migrants with their professional registration process. Ask us how we can help!
Go back to our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- How many points will you need to have a realistic chance?
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Is your profession on one of the Skill Shortages Lists?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- How can you get help with finding a job?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers
If you want to find out more about obtaining the right visa for New Zealand, contact Julia Cooke, Licensed Immigration Adviser at NZIC.Ask Julia for a Free Assessment