Can I claim points for my work experience?
You may be able to claim points for your previous work experience in your Expression of Interest if your experience meets the policy requirements for Skilled Migrant category.
Your work experience must be relevant.
- be in the same field as your recognised qualification, or
- in the same field as your current employment or your offer of skilled employment in New Zealand, or
- have helped you gain relevant specialist, technical, or management skills and experience.
What if I do not have a job/job offer?
If you do not have a skilled job or job offer in New Zealand, any work experience you claim points for must have been gained in a comparable labour market.
Points might be awarded for work experience in countries that are not 'comparable labour markets', but only if you were working:
- for a multinational commercial entity domiciled in one of these listed countries, or
- in an area of absolute skill shortage.
How many points can you claim for your work experience?
2 years 10 points
4 years 15 points
6 years 20 points
8 years 25 points
10 years 30 points
Claim bonus points for your work experience
In addition to the points above, you may be able to claim additional bonus points in your Expression of Interest if your work experience has been obtained
- in New Zealand - 1 to 3 years will give you 5 to 15 points
- in an identified future growth area - 10 to 15 points
- in an area of absolute skill shortage - 10 to 15 points
Ask our Licensed Immigration Adviser
If you want to find out more about obtaining the right visa for New Zealand, contact Julia Cooke, Licensed Immigration Adviser at NZIC.Ask Julia for a Free Assessment