What are the main challenges for migrants during the job hunt?
Being new to New Zealand, migrants typically experience a variety of challenges when approaching the job market.
Apart from the Catch 22 dilemma - you do not have a visa when you start your job hunt - there are a number of other issues that will affect your job search.
Difficulties migrants face are often based on the fact that they are not familiar with New Zealand's business etiquette and employers do not fully understand and appreciate their professional overseas background:
- A lack of proven New Zealand work experience
- A lack of professional networks and social capital
- A lack of information and a good understanding of their specific industry in New Zealand
- A lack of recognition of international qualifications and/or the opportunities to upgrade
- A lack of understanding of how to navigate the New Zealand employment process
- The challenging requirement for specialists to adapt to more generalist work roles
- A lack of New Zealand specific English language terminology
- A lack of confidence in a new environment
Our Job Search Team has the experience and local knowledge to support and coach you through this phase of unfamiliarity and open up the New Zealand employment market for you.
Ask our Job Search Professionals
If you want to find out more about finding a job in New Zealand, contact Katrin Schottke, Job Search Manager at NZIC.Ask Katrin for a Free Assessment