The Paperwork

What paperwork do you have to do if you want to work in New Zealand?

Like in every country in the world, you will have to do some paperwork before you can start your new job. 



Everyone working in New Zealand is expected to pay tax to the Inland Revenue Department (IRD).

Depending on how much you earn this can be 19% - 39% of your earnings.

Before you can work legally, you need to register with the Inland Revenue Department and apply for an IRD number, so organise one of these as soon as you can.

For more information on applying for an IRD number, visit



Wages and salaries will be paid directly into your bank account, usually fortnightly or monthly.
You will need to have a bank account with a New Zealand bank. 

Ask us how you can open a bank account in New Zealand. 


Employers will ideally want to see proof of a work permit or permanent residency papers to make it easier for them to offer you a job – remember, they are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.

Companies that employ illegal immigrants or people who are not permitted to work, can face serious charges and fines.

Most job advertisements will specify that applicants must be eligible to work in New Zealand.

So where you are eligible and meet the Immigration NZ requirements, you should apply for and ideally get your visa / work permit / permanent residency sorted as soon as possible to remove this barrier for the employer.


Read more about applying for a work visa.

Find out if you are eligible for a resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category.

Do a quick self-assessment by using our Points Guide.

Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers whether you qualify for a work visa.


Ask us for a Free Professional Assessment!

Our Licensed Immigration Advisers and Job Search Professionals will assess your chances and let you know how you can start your migration process.