Work as a Quantity Surveyor in New Zealand
The construction sector in New Zealand is booming, fuelled by the sustained population and economic growth. This scenario is full of opportunities for experienced overseas quantity surveyors looking to relocate to New Zealand.
New Zealand needs Quantity Surveyors
Quantity surveyors are in strong demand in New Zealand. This is due to:
- A significant shortage of experienced professionals;
- New Zealand’s construction boom;
- Strengthening of buildings in major cities;
- Building work to upgrade old homes and improve housing quality;
- The Government’s plans to invest over $12 billion on transport and infrastructure from 2020 to 2026.
The future brings many opportunities for overseas quantity surveyors looking to move to New Zealand short-term on a work visa, or long-term on a residence visa
Quantity Surveyors on the Skill Shortage Lists
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment has included quantity surveying on the skill shortage lists, as there are not enough experienced quantity surveyors in New Zealand to meet demand.
The lists recognise the need for overseas professionals in different areas of the economy and provide more benefits to applicants, such as easier recruitment, and faster visa processing.
If you are aiming for a visa based on your work experience and qualifications, you will almost certainly need to secure a job offer from a New Zealand employer before being able to get your visa. These requirements apply for most applicants under the Essential Skills and Skilled Migrant Categories.
If you are looking to migrate to New Zealand, ask our Licensed Immigration Adviser for a Free Assessment on your migration options.
Read more about finding a job in New Zealand:
- Get Job Search Assistance and find a job in New Zealand!
- The Catch22 dilemma: You need a visa to get a job!
- Look up the Skill Shortage Lists.
- Can you come to New Zealand to look for a job?
- In order to get a work visa, your job must be "skilled".
- What are the next steps once you have a job offer in New Zealand?
Job Search Coaching
If you want to give your job search in New Zealand a powerful boost talk to our Careers Coach Judi Lubetzky.Free Assessment