What are the remuneration thresholds in Skilled Migrant and Essential Skills policies?
Your salary level will be a crucial requirement to be able to secure a visa under the Skilled Migrant or Essential Skills Categories.
The new Skilled Migrant Policy acknowledges that higher-paid positions reflect higher skill levels and will result in an increased potential to benefit New Zealand's economic growth. Bonus points will be awarded for employment based on high levels of earnings.
Is your employment skilled?
There are two different indicators used to determine whether your employment is classified as skilled:
- If your occupation is at ANZSCO skill levels 1–3, you must earn at or above NZ$25 per hour (or the equivalent annual salary)
- If your occupation is at ANZSCO skill levels 4–5, you must earn at or above NZ$37.50 per hour (or the equivalent annual salary) to be awarded points for skilled employment in your Skilled Migrant Category residence application.
Will you qualify for bonus points?
You may be eligible for 20 bonus points if you are claiming points for skilled employment and the remuneration for that employment is at or above NZ$50 per hour (or the equivalent annual salary).
Immigration New Zealand will be updating remuneration thresholds in February 2020
On 24 February 2020, the salary thresholds for Skilled Migrant Resident Visas and Essential Skills Work Visas will increase.
- For ANZSCO skill levels 1–3, you will need to earn a minimum of NZ$25.50 per hour (NZ$ 53,040 per annum). This is an NZ$0.5 per hour increase.
- For ANZSCO skill levels 4–5, you will need to earn a minimum of NZ$38.25 per hour (NZ$ 79,560 per annum). This is an NZ$0.75 per hour increase to be awarded points for skilled employment in your Skilled Migrant Category residence application.
From 24 February 2020, Essential Skills applicants must be paid NZ$ 21.68 or more per hour (NZ$ 45,094 per annum) for Mid-skilled employment in an occupation at ANZSCO skill level 1-3 OR NZ$ 38.25 or more per hour (NZ$ 79,560 per annum) for higher-skilled employments/occupations at ANZSCO levels 4-5.
To claim the 20 bonus points for high remuneration, applicants must be paid NZ$51 or more per hour. (NZ$ 106,080 per annum). This is an increase of NZ$ 1 per hour.
Continue your Self-Assessment with our Quick Self-Check Guide.
Read more about becoming a New Zealand resident through the Skilled Migrant Category:
- How many points will you need to have a realistic chance?
- Will you be able to claim points for your qualifications?
- Will you be able to claim bonus points for your professional expertise?
- Is your profession on one of the Skill Shortages Lists?
- Do you have to be registered in New Zealand?
- How can you get help with finding a job?
- Will you meet the English language requirements?
Ask our Licensed Immigration Advisers
If you want to find out what it takes to migrate to New Zealand, ask our Licensed Immigration Adviser Apekshi Jayawardena for a Free Assessment.Free Assessment